I know it's been a few days since I posted anything, so wanted to at least say hello. Sorry there are no pictures this time, since I think that's probably the most interesting part sometimes. I'm posting this from an internet cafe and decided not to try bringing my camera, cable, etc, to try to post some pictures.
As the title mentioned, I'm in Tanzania right now. Just for a few more hours. I've been here since Tuesday morning and fly back to Uganda this afternoon (it's Saturday). I've been here doing some work for Compassion -- photography and story-gathering. Although I'm no longer working there full-time, I was very happy when I had the opportunity to sign a contract to continue doing some communications work for them. Since I was coming so close to Tanzania anyway, they asked if I could come down for a few days and follow up on some of the great work being done among sponsored children who are orphaned or in other vulnerable situations, as well as those who are receiving care through Compassion's HIV/AIDS program.
It's been a very inspiring week. As I always do when I travel to Compassion projects, I've met some beautiful, amazing children -- and their families. And the Tanzania staff are wonderful as well. Tanzania was the first country I ever visited in Africa and the first place I ever traveled with Compassion. So I've known some of the staff here for about 5 years. They were very nice and told me I am a local now.
One of the women took me to a handcraft market yesterday so I could buy a couple of things. After we'd been there a little while she asked me how I learned to bargain so well? She said she thought I had a better idea of what price some of those things were worth than she did. I don't know that that was actually true, but it did make me feel good. As anyone knows who has seen my house, I have spent a good bit of time buying artwork and handcrafts in markets all over the world and do enjoy the experience.
For the next few days I will be doing similar work for Compassion Uganda before heading back to Aidchild. When I said goodbye to the children there last Monday they wanted to know exactly when I'd be coming back. It was strange for me that Monday night because it was the first time in nearly 4 straight weeks where I didn't go in to say goodnight after they were all in bed. I'll be happy to see them again on Tuesday.
The painting of the school there was nearing completion when I left, and the taller tables had been built so I'm looking forward to seeing everything finished when I get back.
Well, I need to go finish packing up my things so I can check out of the hotel, so I think I'll close here. But I just wanted to catch everyone up on what I've been up to this week. I will try to get some more pictures posted when I get back to Aidchild. Thanks to everyone who has been staying in touch! It's so nice to have those connections to home.
No comments:
Post a Comment