Thursday, May 18, 2006

asante sana -- webale nyo


I can't believe I forgot to mention this sooner, but I got to see Godlisten while I was in Tanzania!! Godlisten was the first child I ever sponsored through Compassion and we've now been together for five years. He was barely 7 when I first met him. He will be 12 next week and grows more handsome, sweet and smiley every day!





Connie, a woman I became friends with when she traveled with me on my last sponsor tour with Compassion -- to Uganda in February -- made these beautiful glass bead necklaces for the older girls at Aidchild. And when I say "made", I don't mean she just strung the beads. I mean she melted and painted the glass. They're beautiful! Here they are on (L-R) Topi, Maria, Ritah and Dora.



While I was in Tanzania, someone asked me how much Swahili I spoke. I told her the few words and phrases I knew and she said, "Oh, you know so much!" When I laughed, she said I knew all the important words. I'm pretty sure that's not true. But my title today is demonstrating some of my multi-lingual skills -- thank you very much in Swahili and Luganda.

I'm back "home" with all the smiling children and I'm very happy to be back! After posting the message on Saturday, I made my way happily to the airport, only to have them tell me that they had oversold the flight and I would have to wait for the next flight, departing in "a couple" of hours. A couple turned out to be five. So I got to know the Kilimanjaro airport very well, but at least did get a nice lunch -- paid for by the airline -- and a beautiful sunset out of the bargain. By the time I made it through my Nairobi connection and then immigration, baggage claim, customs, and caught my shuttle from airport, I arrived in Kampala at about 1 AM.

Still, everything was actually fine, if teaching me a little patience, so I can't complain. I spent Sunday and Monday in Kamplala taking care of some things, and then came back to Aidchild on Tuesday.
A news flash!! While I've been writing this, electricity has come back! We haven't had any for a month now, unless we had the generator on. But about 20 minutes ago, the generator was switched off and the lights continued to stay on. I am already looking forward to how simple it will be to get ready for bed with the use of lights, rather than carrying a candle around with me. I guess it's good that God sends us these times to remember that so many things we take for granted and feel entitled too are actually luxuries that we really can get by without. Still, need them or not, I have to say that those lights tonight are going to be mighty nice.

I'll try to update more in a couple of days, but I want to try to get this posted today so I think I'll close for now. Happy Electricity Day!

No comments: