Friday, April 21, 2006

a week of smiles















Did you know that in Uganda, the Easter holiday includes a 4 day weekend? In addition to Good Friday, the Monday after Easter is also a holiday from work and school. It's an excellent idea, I've decided. And if that isn't enough, Aidchild had their celebrating extend even a little longer -- with parties on Tuesday (at Mpigi) and Wednesday (at Masaka)!

We're still having time to get work done too though, even with all this fun, and have been conducting interviews for the new head of Aidchild Academy. With a title of Lead Academic Facilitator, this role will serve as the head of the school from both an administrative and education standpoint. We're very excited with how this is going and I hope to be able to announce who that new individual will be very soon.


At Mpigi, Okello flashes his great smile while he waits for his egg to dye.
















One of the beautiful little girls at Mpigi definitely held her own against the "big kids" during the egg hunt! (She is new since the last time I had visited and I'm afraid I forgot her name.)
















At Masaka, all the toddlers took this egg-dying thing very seriously. Here they are on their way down to get started. Mbabazi kindly served as their host and guide.












Even after instructions were given and the eggs had been dropped in the cups, Jack still wasn't totally sure what he thought of this idea...


















The bigger kids took the the process with a little less skepticism and dyed eggs with enthusiasm.







I seem to have reached my limit for how many pictures I can post on today's page, but after kids hunted the eggs, they rehid them so the adults could hunt them. They got great pleasure from then showing the adults where they were hidden.

After all the dying and hunting at both parties, we enjoyed french fries (or chips as they call them here), sodas -- and boiled eggs!! Oh yes, and some chocolate and jelly beans that I managed to get from the States without it melting (or me eating it). All in all, the parties were a huge success and the kids ended both parties by thanking us for the party. They're pretty great!




1 comment:

robin cornett said...

Beautiful pics, Phoebe! ...I notice you didn't try to pack Peeps?