Friday, April 14, 2006

A few more pictures

Hello again! Today is Good Friday and it’s a public holiday here. So the children are enjoying a day away from school. Although after a long downpour this morning everything -- including us! -- is a little soggy, so there aren’t a lot of outdoor activities at the moment. The sun looks like it might come out soon though so maybe things will dry up a bit this afternoon.

As I type this I have an adorable little guy crawling over and around me. His name is Sam and he’s about 4 years old. He’s very curious and it’s a little hard on him that I won’t let him click the mouse or play with the calculator or take the key laying here on the desk or anything else that looks especially interesting and appealing to him. And yet he’d evidently still rather be here watching and climbing in and out of my lap than off doing something else, and so he tolerates all the “NOs”.


Here are a few highlights from the last couple of days:














Yesterday we had an Africa geography lesson, led by Elizabeth, who is here volunteering for a few weeks. She has been kindly going through school materials and monitoring responses to the job advertisement that was posted, and lots of other wonderful things.

Thankfully, you can't see too closely the map she's standing in front of. We had no large map of Africa anywhere so she asked if I'd try drawing one on the board. It was a bit shorter and wider than it should be, but when the kids walked in the room they still said "Africa!" so I was glad to know it was at least recognizable. Over all, the country borders weren't too bad either, except for poor Angola -- they were the last country drawn in and sort of just got what was left!















Tomusange (Tommy, left) and Mbabazi are more quiet than some of the boys. They are about 11-12 years old. They both have very sweet, gentle personalities. They let me take this picture while we were waiting for others to arrive for classtime.

More to come soon, I hope!


No comments: