Friday, April 04, 2008

community

Disclaimer: Usually I tell stories, and so that is probably what you have come to expect. This week, I suppose I am feeling more philosophical. Perhaps this is partly due to the fact that as of today, I have been granted my visa and work permit and am now officially a resident of Rwanda, making the permanence of my move a little more concrete for me.


Humans were meant to live in community. It’s a concept that I’ve heard so many times in my life that I’ve come to consider it cliché. But I realize the truth of this idea in a way now that I have not understood perhaps at any other time in my life.

I recognize that I am a fairly gregarious, social person. One of those who tends to test as “extrovert” on assessments like the Myers-Briggs. So some of you more introverted people might argue that I feel this way because I am the type of person who “gains energy from other people.” But I want to make a challenge to us all that, regardless of psychological test results, part of being created “in the image of God” means that we need to have others around.

Technically I live in Rwanda now, but because of my travel, prior to this week I have not really been meeting people. I have good relationships with many of the people that I work with around the region. Some I have known for 6 or 7 years and we work well together and respect and love each other. I appreciate my times with these amazing people, but the truth is I always know that we will say goodbye in a few days, and it may be some months before I will see them again.

In Colorado, I said goodbye to an amazing group of people. In addition to my family, whom I love with a depth that I can’t put into words, I also have the privilege of knowing a group of women and men whom I admire and love and have allowed to know me to an extent that I, as a fairly self-sufficient and independent person, did not previously believe was possible.

I think I didn’t realize until this week that there has been a part of me that was reticent to search out new people in my new home because I have highly doubted that I can find another group that is as worth knowing as these individuals I have left behind. While the wonders of internet and Skype and mobile phones mean that I don’t have to completely give up meaningful communication with these lovely people, I’m understanding as the days go by my spiritual need for a local community as well.

Over the last few days, I have had the opportunity to begin to get to know two very interesting women from Belfast and Glasgow, a group of women from across the US who have become a close-knit band, and a kind medical-doctor couple from Madagascar along with their two children. In all honesty, I guess I don’t know how many of these people I will still know a year from now. That’s one of the intimidating aspects of trying to create community for oneself in a completely new place. At 18, heading off to university, it was a big adventure, part of the fun of the whole experience. At 32, sometimes it just feels like work.

But I’m learning to appreciate the process all over again. I feel fortunate to have met so many interesting people in such a short time, and at the same time recognize that many people are worth getting to know -- have interesting stories and lives and ideas and dreams -- if we just give them the opportunity to show us.

My friend Katy from Compassion in the States (hi, Katy!), when I described this international group of friends I have begun “collecting,” said that she thought it sounded like what she pictures heaven being like -- people from all over the world living together in community. I agree with her.

I made spice cookies a couple of nights ago and as soon as they were cool enough to move, I put some on a napkin and took them out to Baptiste, who works at my home. Thinking I was coming out to ask him to do something, when he realized what I was doing he smiled and said, “Thank you. Thank you very much.” Baptiste has begun to learn some English words and phrases since coming to work with me, and I have noticed that “very much” is one of his newest vocabulary phrases. He only seems to use it when I have suddenly surprised him by doing something that helps him that he wasn’t expecting.

I like to think that under any circumstances I would have taken Baptiste some cookies, but I realize that it is this longing for community -- to know and be known -- that made this moment of connection important for me.

Sunday marks the 14th anniversary of the day the Rwandan genocide began. 100 days in Rwandan history when the understanding of the need for community was forgotten and the hatred that seems to come too easily to our fallen natures took over. Here, next week will be a week of mourning as people remember those they lost during that horrific time. But as Rwanda moves forward, there is also an emphasis of forgiveness and hope as this beautiful country continues to grow and learn and look to the future.

As I learn to live within the community of my new home, I encourage my friends and family back in the West to also take a moment to remember Rwanda this weekend.

4 comments:

Jen Kent said...

I will be remembering Rwanda on Sunday too. And know that you are missed greatly in my little community! I'm so glad you're starting to meet and get to know some great people. And I'm doubly glad that there's Skype and phones for us to keep in touch! Love you!

Andy said...

Feel free to philosophize any time you want! You shared some important and helpful thinking. You will always be an integral part of my community, no matter where you live. I love you and miss you so much!

Unknown said...

I'm glad new friends are comming into your life! Enjoyed the blog. I love you, and miss you. Mom

amorcitos said...

We miss you, Phoebs! And we will commemorate with Rwanda. Thank you for your beautiful post.